Yesterday I was setting up a new VM under VMWare Workstation when I noticed that mouse grabbing was not working. Now I use my VMs extensively, so I expect this feature to work as it slows productivity when it doesn’t. After digging around, I found that the VMWare Tools installer hadn’t modified the xorg.conf to handle the mouse. It turns out that they released the Xorg drivers as open source and now they’re maintained by the Xorg team! So, in this case, I fired up Synaptic and installed the vmmouse input driver, modified the driver line in my xorg.conf to be ‘vmmouse’ instead of ‘mouse’, and restarted X. Tada! I now have mouse grabbing without having to start the vmware-toolbox.
So, I was at work yesterday, trying to troubleshoot a problem we were having with our customer’s build system. For some reason, we’re seeing make fail with a complaint about a missing endif—an error that they’ve never seen. So we proceed with the usual check of tools and found that we were using the same versions of everything. Same gcc, same make, same binutils, same everything… except the Linux distribution.
I’m very excited to be attending this year. I wanted to attend the last couple of years, but had some family matters to attend to. I’m hoping to learn a few things and run into a few people while I’m there. If you haven’t signed up already, click the badge and do so!
I downloaded the software upgrade for my ipod touch so that I could get the Mail application. Unfortunately, our mail servers use a self-signed certificate so whenever the Mail tried to verify the IMAP connection it would pop up a box asking to continue. I hit ‘continue’ and it’d sit there until several minutes later when it would time out. I logged into our mail server and watched the logs and it appears the Mail application was effectively terminating the connection after I hit continue. I decided to hit ‘cancel’ instead and then hit save again. It threw up a disclaimer saying I may not be able to receive mail, but low and behold: when I went to look at my inbox, mail was there! Yay! I’m really liking my ipod touch… too bad I can’t carry it around with me at work. :-(
I had a misbehaving application (I believed it was connecting to the wrong port based on a preference setting), so I figured I’d give dtrace a try and see if I could capture the connect() system call. After a fair amount of tweaking, I was finally able to capture what I was looking for. Here’s the script: