Now that I’ve started to spend some time on my site capturing links and other tidbits, I’m realizing that my sidebar needs to be wider. There simply isn’t much room over there. I bumped the font size down by a pixel–any more than that and it doesn’t look decent. But frankly, I may revert that as well. I think I’m going to have to expand the area, and then I need to revisit how that affects the width of my code blocks. It might be worth the trade-off though.
As I mentioned earlier in the year, I got tired of Wordpress and it fighting me with posting code. So here’s the new site, rewritten using Django, Pygments, Python-Markdown, Static Generator, and the Django Basic Apps (just the blog portion). I also wanted the site to be more friendly presenting code, so I changed the main column to be wide enough to avoid having to excessively wrap the lines.
..since I’ve posted anything. I’ve been in the process of rewriting my site. I’m tired of Wordpress, tired of escaping code, tired of futzing with code to make it readable, and basically tired of Wordpress working against me rather than with me. So I took a look at other blogging systems… and none of them had all the characteristics that I wanted. So I’ve been busy in background developing my own using Django. This will allow me to write code in blogs much easier, and I didn’t have to jump through the pain of trying to design my own Wordpress template.
I wanted a copy of my svnsync’d version of the SVN repo while at PyCon. It’s about 450MB (and it’s not up-to-date currently)… but it has quite a few files. In 20 minutes time, it only got about 60MB of data across the wire. I killed it and ran: